Fringed by the peaks of the Southern Carpathian Mountains and resplendent with Gothic, baroque and renaissance architecture, as well as a wealth of historical attractions, Brasov is one of the most visited places in Romania.
Founded in 1211, Brasov exudes a distinct medieval ambiance and has been used as backdrop in many recent period films. Fortifications were erected around the city and continually expanded, with several towers maintained by different craft guilds, according to medieval custom.
Distance from Villa Radu: 2 km – Brasov | 10 km Brasov – Center
- The Council Square (Piata Sfatului): Located at the heart of old medieval Brasov and lined with beautiful red-roofed merchant houses, the Council Square is a nice place to rest and soak in the beautiful scenery. In late summer, the Golden Stag (Cerbul de Aur) music festival takes place here.
- The Old Town Hall (Casa Sfatului)
- The Black Church (Biserica Neagra): Its name derives from damage caused by the Great Fire of 1689, when flames and smoke blackened its walls. The interior is impressive and well-kept and houses one of the largest organs in Eastern Europe.
- Brasov's Defensive Fortifications: 32 towers, 7 bastions
- Tampa Mountain (Muntele Tampa): Brasov is often referred to as the city at the foot of Mount Tampa. Above the Weavers' Bastion, along the southeastern side of the fortress walls, is a very romantic alley (Aleea Tiberiu Brediceanu), shaded by old trees and dotted with many benches. From here, you can hike to the top of Tampa Mountain, where the original defensive fortress was built. You can take the Tampa cable car to the peak (3,000 feet) for the best views of the old town.
- First Romanian School Museum (Prima Scoala Romaneasca): Housed on the grounds of St. Nicholas Church, this was for centuries one of the leading learning centres of the Romanian people. The printing press that opened here in 1556 produced some of the first books written in Romanian. The museum hosts a compelling legacy: more than 4,000 rare books (many printed or copied by hand right here), several hundred rare documents, the oldest Bible (printed on goat's skin) and much more.
Festivals & Events
The Pageant of the Juni (April)
The Golden Stag Festival (August)
The International Chamber Music Festival (September)
The Beer Festival (September)
The International Opera Festival (September)
The Annual International Jazz Festival (November)
The Contemporary Drama Festival (November)